Aug 21, 2013

More on the Dairy issue and some randomeness.

Sorry in advance, this will be all over because I am really all over lately.


We are about a week into the dairy free thing for Beau and things are going pretty well. I can definitely tell when I've consumed some hidden dairy (which has happened more than I care to admit, seriously chicken nuggets have milk in them) as his "heat rash" gets pretty intense again and his allergen rash on his bum flares back up. I am getting really good at reading labels as a default before I eat something (even if I just read the label a couple hours ago). He is still having some symptoms, and his diapers are still kinda rough, but he seems to be in significantly less pain and he is much less fussy. We have two weeks or so left until he is better, but things are looking up for sure. The biggest things that have helped are equal parts diligence and Aric being so helpful.


In other news, I have FINALLY finished my shoe bench project!! Aric and I bought a new bed a while back and our old one has been sitting in our house dismantled waiting to be a project. I decided I would make an over sized bench to sit by the front door and our shoe rack. Now we have somewhere to sit to get our shoes on before heading out the door! I also screwed a couple little hooks into the headboard for our key rings.
How I did it:
First I did a rough measurement of the couch seat to see how long it is. Since I wanted the bench over sized I added about 6 inches to the length and snipped a piece of ribbon to size. I use the piece of ribbon to mark my length on the inside of the side rails of the former bed. I cut the rails to length and flipped the hook things that fit into the headboard. on the end that I cut to length I used a standard inside corner bracket to attach the side rails to the foot board. The reason I flipped the side rails was so that the center supports would sit nearly flush with the top rails instead of recessed for a mattress to fit inside. I also attached the rails a little higher on the foot board so there is a gentle slope from the part of the bench under your knees to the back board. After the outer frame of the bench was assembled I went ahead and screwed the center supports back onto the side rails. I then cut legs that go under the very middle of the center supports to the needed height and attached them in the same way they normally would attach to the bed. I used one center support leg in front and one in back. For the pad we have a twin sized comforter (and no twin sized bed for it to go on) that is folded in half right now. Once I can run out and get some fiber fill I will be sewing it inside of the comforter for an actual plush pad. The bed frame I used was a queen sized frame and the twin comforter is the exact width I would need.  All in all it was a pretty easy project, especially considering that Beau is only a month old and I'm still healing from his birth. It was no strain at all to complete this project even with Aric at work. All in all it took about 2 hours total work. I broke it up into couple minute long sessions here and there when Beau was asleep and AJ was otherwise occupied.


No comments:

Post a Comment